The refuge was built in honor of Fritz Pflaum, a legendary alpinist from days gone by and a lover of the Wilder Kaiser. During a difficult mountain tour in the Bernese Alps, Dr. Fritz Pflaum lost his life on August 25, 1908. Four years after his death, on August 25, 1912, the refuge in the midst of the Kaiser peaks was inaugurated and handed over to its intended purpose.