This beautiful cross was named after Johann Tavonaro. Hans Tavonaro was the first hut keeper at the Stirpsenjochhaus. He himself was an enthusiastic mountaineer and erected the cross at the Stirpsenjoch on the occasion of his 150th tour to the Totenkirchl. Until the year 1910, he climbed the Totenkirchl 200 times. Tavonaro was the first to ascend the main summit of the Predigtstuhl. He passed away in 1914 at the age of 52.